Pickens’ Water Department provides water service to 4,400 customers within a 16-mile area, providing 4 million gallons of water per day. Sewage treatment facilities have a capacity of 950,000 gallons per day.
The City of Pickens owns and operates a 4 MGD (million gallons per day) conventional surface water treatment facility located at 602 Red Hill Road, which is approximately two miles northwest of the City of Pickens. The facility’s primary source of raw water is a 100-acre reservoir on the North Fork of Twelve Mile Creek with an estimated volume of 250 million gallons. The secondary intake facility is located at the water treatment plant site on the Twelve Mile Creek.
Recent rate increases will fund water plant upgrades with construction scheduled to begin summer of 2011. These improvements will ensure that new regulatory compliance requirements are satisfied, as well as enable Pickens to continue to provide a quality product to our consumers for years to come.
New water customers should come to the Water Department in City Hall to establish service. Office hours are 8:30 am to 5:00 pm Monday through Friday. The Water Department is located inside the main City Hall entrance, at 219 Pendleton Street (US Hwy. 178), at the corner of Pendleton Street and Johnson Street, two blocks south of Main Street.
- The connection fee is $30.
- A refundable $100 deposit is required, refundable after the last bill has been paid. Homeowners can be exempted from the $100 deposit with proof of ownership (closing statement or property tax receipt). Water can usually be turned on the same day if you come to the office before Noon.
- Water can be turned on temporarily for inspections or cleaning for a charge of $30.
- For Pickens water customers moving from one home to another on our water system, a $30 transfer fee is required.
- The fee for insufficient-fund checks or bank drafts is $30.
All new water taps and new sewer taps must be approved by the Public Works Director. Only one dwelling is allowed per water tap. Stop by City Hall to complete an application for this process. Allow 5 working days for approval. Once the tap is approved and paid for, allow 10 working days for installation.
For after-hour water emergencies, call (864) 878-6421 and select Option 1.
Regarding residential leaks, leaks anywhere between the meter and the home are the responsibility of the homeowner. Only when a leak results in more than 15,000 gallons inside city limits, or 20,000 outside city limits, can billing adjustments be considered, and then only twice a year. The customer pays the standard rate (see rate chart) for the first 15,000/20,000 gallons. The water rate for amounts above 15,000/20,000 gallons is $1.35 per thousand gallons. Contact the Water Department to discuss billing adjustments.
Water meters are property of Pickens Water Department. Tampering with meters is illegal and may result in fines and/or criminal prosecution.
Customers are billed monthly (with a return envelope for your convenience). Payment is due 20 days after bill is mailed. A $5.00 late fee is charged for late payments. Water service to delinquent accounts will be disconnected, and a $50 penalty is required before water is turned back on.
Payments may be made by cash or check at City Hall (office or night deposit; credit/debit cards not accepted at City Hall), online at cityofpickens.com, automatic bank draft, or by bank bill pay. Please include the bill stub or your account number with your payment.
Inside City Limits
Water Rates–Residential and Commercial
- Minimum (0 – 3,000 gallons) $23.50
- Over 3,000 gallons $ 3.50 per 1,000 gallons
Sewer Rates–Residential and Commercial
- Minimum (0 – 3,000 gallons) $20.50
- Over 3,000 gallons $3.20 per 1,000 gallons
Outside City Limits
Water Rates–Residential and Commercial
- Minimum (0 – 3,000 gallons) $36.00
- Over 3,000 gallons $4.00 per 1,000 gallons
Note: City Sewer Service is generally not provided outside the City Limits
For more information, please contact:
Lois Porter, 878-6421
Water Department Billing Supervisor